MAX30034replaces existing multilevel protection circuitry and provides >75% space savings
San Jose, CA—February 28, 2017—Targeting medical equipment such as defibrillators as well asECG diagnostics and monitoring systems, the MAX30034 defibrillation protection device from Maxim Integrated Products, Inc. (NASDAQ: MXIM) protects against defibrillation pulses and electrostatic discharge (ESD). Compared to existing approaches and components, it simplifies design,provides >75% space savings, and trims the bill of materials, all while significantly improving performance.
Designers of defibrillators and ECG monitors face a challenge, as their ECG input amplifiers must withstand high-voltage pulses for cardiac resuscitation. These pulses can easily damage the sensitive electronic circuitry which captures the millivolt level heart signals. Preventing this damage has required a three-layer, multi-component approach combining a per-channel gas-discharge tube (GDT)and/or transient-voltage suppression(TVS) device, as well as ESD-protectiondiodes. Further, leakage current (a critical parameter) is relatively high, at about 1-2nA.
Maxim’s four-channel MAX30034 defibrillation protection device uses an innovative topology from an advanced semiconductor process to absorb and harmlessly redirect these high-energy pulses away from sensitive circuitry. This small and robust device needs only two external pairs of resistors for each channel to provide design simplicity, smaller overall size, and lower leakage current. The MAX30034 replaces the primary-level GDTs and/or TVSs, as well as secondary-level ESD diodes which are the conventional solutions for mandated circuit protection.The device can withstand over 100,000 defibrillation pulses without failure and still maintain a leakage current under 10pA (100x less than GDT/TVS-based approaches).
- Ease of Design:A single, tinyIC,and two external resistor pairs per channel are all that is needed
- Robust: Leakage current is100x less than GDT/TVS-based approaches even after 100,000 5kV pulses
- Small: Replaces complicated primary, secondary, and ESD protection solutionsfor>75% space savings; 3mm x 5mm μMAX®package (0 to 70-degree Celsius operating temperature range)
- “Customers need innovative,tightly focused components like this,” said Andrew Baker, Executive Director for Industrial and Healthcare at Maxim Integrated. “It completely changes the component solution to the long-standing challenge of protecting the medical device against a defibrillation pulse.”
Availability and Pricing
- The MAX30034 is priced at $3.40 (1000-up, FOB USA)
- An evaluation kit is available for $25: MAX30034EVKIT#
- Both are in stock at all Maxim-franchised distributors